I’m not a Valentines Day kinda girl. I have never have been and no, I’m not single. (By the way it is possible to dislike Valentines day, be single and not be bitter. That was me for many years.)
What gets to me is the Valentine’s hype. The presumption of a gift. There are exceptions to this rule, but it usually goes like this….
Girl meets guy, some superficial sparks may fly. They will probably eat,hold hands then drink too much. Consequentially they will do a little clumsy something something afterwards. I’d rather dominoes and a film on my own as I’m guaranteed dominoes will pick up my call the next day.
St Valentine had a great mind in secretly marrying people who wanted to express their love in matrimony. But his name got a little abused and marketed over the years. Don’t get me wrong, there are some genuine couple’s out there celebrating their affections. But for every legendary love story, cupid’s valentine arrow mismatches 10!
So here’s 5 Things or states of mind to avoid this Valentine’s day.
1. ‘This is my day to show her/him that I truly love him’. Honey/dude, if that’s the only day you go out of your way, you have a serious problem! Everyday should be Valentines day. Or should I say everyday should be a celebration day.
2. ‘I must buy something extravagant.‘ One of the most meaningful items I have ever received was a book by my all time favourite author. It wasn’t even available in the UK yet. On the way to work last week I spilled my lunch on it and spent half an hour getting wierd looks as I rescued it under the hand dryer. I can buy myself a lot of things but some gifts take such an effort that they become priceless! If your going all out this Valentines day, make sure it’s an all year love state of mind. And when it comes to TRUE love, it really is the thought that counts.
3. ‘I must have a date’. Okay then. Would you date this person at any other time of the year? Nope, didn’t think so! Grab a film, grab your girls and pass the chocolate. Don’t let any time of year force you into feeling like singleness is a gift in and of itself.
4. ‘I have a love interest, therefore I must do something’. Actually, you don’t HAVE to do anything. But do yourself a favour and clear this with her first. If she’s likes the romance of the day, I promise I’m saving you………Titanic style. Cue the music.
5. ‘ I must be a gentleman tonight’. Be a gentleman always. Have a shower, use some face cream and spray some deodorant……on a regular basis. If you do I promise you’ll get more romantic opportunities THROUGHOUT the year. And If you behave like a gentleman past midnight, expect nothing and kiss her on the cheek. She is more likely to stick around.
Now before you brand me a cynic, there are elements I like too! My favourite bit about Valentine’s day? The prettiness, the flowers but best of all? The day after half price aisles, red and pink themed everything! The ghetto chick in me comes out….
(iamge via here)
xo Chi xo